When most people think about aluminum, they think about foil or soda pop cans. However, aluminum is used in so many ways, across so many industries and is oh so much more than a safe means of protecting food and beverages. In fact, a recent study revealed that over three billion pounds of aluminum is now used each year in construction projects in the United States alone, as the benefits of aluminum products and the abilities of custom aluminum extrusion are becoming more well known.
Once upon a time, aluminum was thought to be a rare metal. It was difficult to acquire, which made it very expensive. It was so expensive that it was never measured in pounds – let alone billions of pounds – but only in ounces. However, today we know that aluminum is one of the most plentiful metals on the planet and, thanks to huge campaigns around the globe, it is also the most recycled metal as well. Fortunately, aluminum has the ability to be recycled over and over again without losing any of its inherent properties.
The Benefits of Aluminum Products
On it’s own, aluminum is already a very versatile material. It is used in so many different ways around the globe. But when aluminum is put through the shaping process known as extrusion, it becomes even greater than it was before. In addition, custom aluminum coatings and methods used to further prevent corrosion through design, can also be applied to increase the benefits of aluminum products. When you look at the advances made in recent years with regard to aluminum industry solutions and how it has broken barriers and crossed lines into transportation, aerospace, marine, construction and, most recently, eco-friendly design, it is easy to see why aluminum is as widely used as it is today.
Some of the reasons why aluminum is the best choice for aluminum and many industry applications include:
- low in cost compared to other metals used for similar purposes
- natural anti-corrosive benefits make it more durable and longer-lasting than other metals used in various industry applications
- more cost-effective in standard and custom aluminum extrusion than other metals
- extrusion of custom shapes eliminates the need for welding, joining and other fabrications, that can potentially weaken the finished product
- aluminum is plentiful and readily available for manufacturing
- compared to other metals, the strength of aluminum is extremely high, especially after it has been put through the extrusion process
- has a very low weight to strength ratio, making it easy to lift, cheaper to ship and does not contribute as much to the weight of the project, allowing for better mileage when used in cars, trucks and other transportation vehicles
- custom aluminum coating solutions increase natural protections and work to enhance the finished product with colors, textures and other finishes
Why Choose Aluminum for Construction
More and more architects and contractors are choosing to use aluminum in the construction of buildings, homes and other structures. The benefits of aluminum products are just too great to pass up, especially for architects who are working toward LEED credits for certification. Aluminum, because it can be recycled over and over again, is a very eco-friendly metal, making it the perfect choice for structural designs that are trying to reduce the carbon footprint of the project and make it more efficient and friendly to the environment.
When it comes to using aluminum in architecture for various structures, there are specific techniques and methods that should be used. One example of this is the combination of aluminum and concrete. Concrete absorbs a lot of moisture on a regular basis, which can ultimately lead to the corrosion of metal over time – even aluminum. While it is possible to prevent corrosion through design, the best bet is to apply custom aluminum coating solutions to ensure that an adequate layer of protection is provided. This can cause the cost of the material to go up, making it not as cost-effective as it would have been without the extra process. Treated wood should also not come in contact with aluminum, as the chemicals used to treat the wood will affect the condition of the metal, leading to rapid deterioration.
If you are interested in learning more about the benefits of aluminum products or would like to speak with one of our experienced technicians about custom aluminum extrusion and aluminum industry solutions, give Silver City Aluminum a call at 508-824-8631. Our team can help you find the best options for extrusion that will help you to prevent corrosion through design, as well as walk you through the secondary operations and finishing options for all of our custom aluminum coating solutions. Call today and see why so many people around the globe trust Silver City Aluminum for their standard and custom aluminum extrusion.